The government of Maldives has strongly denounced the ongoing attacks by Israeli forces on the Gaza strip that have killed 31 Palestinians, injured many, and caused the destruction of several residential buildings.
In a statement issued on Friday, the Foreign Ministry said that these actions by the Israeli forces are a flagrant violation of international law and relevant resolutions of the United Nations Security Council and the United Nations General Assembly. The Ministry expressed concern that these actions could subvert the region’s efforts to achieve a long-term resolution to the conflict and establish peace and stability in the region.
“The Government and the people of Maldives stand in solidarity with the Government and the people of Palestine and assure firm support for their legitimate and just struggle to achieve a free, independent and sovereign State of Palestine,” the statement said. It reiterated the Maldives’ irm and unwavering support to the legitimate and just struggle of Palestinians to achieve a free, independent and sovereign State of Palestine.
The statement further said that a lasting, peaceful resolution to the conflict can only be realised through a two-State solution, with an independent and sovereign State of Palestine, based on the pre-1967 borders, with East Jerusalem as its capital.
More than 100 Palestinians and at least 19 Israelis and foreigners have been killed so far this year, leading to fears of wider escalation.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.