The Minister of Foreign Affairs, Abdulla Shahid, has embarked on an official visit to Belgrade, Serbia, from 8th to 10th May, with the aim of strengthening bilateral ties between the Maldives and Serbia. During this visit, Minister Shahid will engage in crucial discussions with Ivica Dačić, the First Deputy Prime Minister and Minister of Foreign Affairs of Serbia. The visit holds significant importance, and several essential agreements are scheduled to be signed.
The five key agreements that will be signed during Minister Shahid’s visit are as follows:
- An agreement between the two governments concerning the Abolition of Visas for Holders of Diplomatic and Official Passports.
- An agreement on Trade, Investment, and Economic Cooperation.
- An Air Services Agreement between the Government of the Republic of Maldives and the Government of the Republic of Serbia.
- A Memorandum of Understanding between the foreign ministries of both countries, focusing on Cooperation in the field of Diplomatic Education.
- A Memorandum of Understanding in the Field of Sports, involving the Ministry of Youth, Sports, and Community Empowerment of the Republic of Maldives and the Ministry of Sports of the Republic of Serbia.
This visit holds immense significance, as it marks Minister Shahid’s second official visit to Serbia, signifying the growing bilateral exchange between the two nations. The first visit took place in November 2022, at the invitation of Minister Dačić. During that visit, Minister Shahid engaged in bilateral talks with Minister Dačić to explore various avenues for strengthening the relations between their respective countries. As a result, the Memorandum of Understanding on Bilateral Political Consultations was finalised, establishing a framework for regular consultations between the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of the Maldives and the Ministry of Foreign Affairs of Serbia. This framework enables both nations to review and assess various aspects of their reciprocal relations on a periodic basis, fostering closer cooperation and understanding.
This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.